Saturday, September 03, 2005

Song of the Week 9/2/05

Bad Religion - "Los Angeles Is Burning"

I suppose if I had actually gotten a chance to listen to The College Dropout or Late Registration before the NBC telethon last night, the Song of the Week would have been a track from Kayne West just because of his bold, going way off the script rant, which left Mike Myers looking rather pale:

Amazing television; easily the most compelling thing I've seen on a live entertainment I've seen in years.

In any case, with all the horrible images I saw this week from the Big Easy (as well as seeing how distraught it made my friend and NOLA native Heather), the aftereffects of Hurricane Katrina and the absolutely pitiful response from our government dominated my thinking (and everyone else's, obviously). This week I also downloaded a few Bad Religion albums I did not own already, including 2004's The Empire Strikes First. "Los Angeles Is Burning" is an amazing track about the California wildfires of 2003, yet somehow the song's lyrics resonated with all the horrible things our friends in that grand old city were going through:

"This is not a test
Of the emergency broadcast system
Where Malibu fires and radio towers
Conspire to dance again
And I cannot believe the media Mecca
They're only trying to peddle reality,
Catch it on prime time, story at nine
The whole world is going insane"

Here's hoping New Orleans rebounds like my adopted hometown has over the past four years.


P.S. I wrote this post while listening to The College Dropout--it really is as good as everybody says.

No comments: