Monday, November 16, 2009

Song of the Week 11/13/09

Norah Jones - "Chasing Pirates"

I've never really had that strong of an opinion one way or another about Ms. Jones and her hugely successful career. Her first three albums were cut from the same mellow cloth (which I believe can be bought at Ikea). This new disc, The Fall, sees her shaking things up a bit by dropping her long time band and recording with a bunch of L.A. session guys, including drummer Joey Warnoker. Jones also crafted songs that are a bit darker (no likely inspired by her breakup with her boyfriend/bassist Lee Alexander) and at times a bit funkier. "Chasing Pirates" has a bit of that funk and is the catchiest song she's ever written. I listened to it a few times before interviewing her last month and I found myself humming the chorus the rest of the day. Last week I got the full album and listening to it put "Chasing Pirates" back into that part of my brain that randomly repeats song lyrics over and over again.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that she's, um, kind of attractive:

No comments: