Sunday, March 03, 2013

Song of the Week 3/1/13

Husker Du - "Hate Paper Doll"

I raved about the Copper Blue show the Bob Mould Band did last September in the 2012 RT20, but that didn't prepare me for how powerful the trio would be at Bowery Ballroom Tuesday night. They opened with five Copper Blue songs in a row, playing with an intensity that was stunning for a 52 year-old man. The highlight was the trio of songs they did from Husker Du's Flip Your Wig. I never thought I'd ever see Mould sing "Hate Paper Doll." And I never thought it could sound SO much better that the studio version. Just hearing the drums not sound like tin cans was a huge plus.

On Wednesday night SNL/Portlandia star Fred Armisen joined the band for that same trio of Flip Your Wig songs. This video captures just how great that block of tunes can sound on stage.

No comments: