Saturday, February 12, 2011

Song of the Week 2/11/11

Janet Jackson - "Love Will Never Do (Without You)"

As you can see in the post below this one, I played this song at my DJ gig Friday night. The version I spun was the single version, which is the same one that is used in the Herb Ritts-directed video below. It was seeing that clip in the winter of 1990-1991 in the cold clutches of Ithaca, New York that I decided a) that beach looked awesome; b) Janet Jackson looked totally hot for the first time ever; and c) I really needed to get Rhythm Nation. I had heard enough great cuts from it by that point that I was finally able to overcome my anti-Top 40 mindset I had evolved into since my junior year of high school. And with this DJ gig (and the continuing Party Like It's 1999 series at the Bell House--come down Thursday!) I've been able to rediscover songs from that era.

No comments: