Monday, November 23, 2009

RT 20 Podcast 11: Victor Lisle & Geoff Storm, Part 1

My final on air radio gig was from 1992 to 1995 at a station called K-Rock that had transmitters in Syracuse and Utica in central New York. The format was active rock, which meant we played Guns n' Roses, Nirvana, Def Leppard, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne and tons of hard rock and hair metal acts all the time. (Well, except during our almost all-talk morning drive program.) The uptempo music and on air uptempo delivery worked well for the 22 to 26 year old version of me, as I got to talk over the instrumental intros of songs and sound hyper while doing it. (And I might still be doing it today if it wasn't for a certain guy who didn't like the sound of my voice. Not that I'm still bitter and wish ill upon his company. Not at all.)

Victor Lisle and Geoff Storm were two of the dearest friends I made during that time. Victor and I were briefly paired together on the morning drive show (I did overnights and then hung around to play sidekick for three hours). Then he was moved to evenings and started a kick ass night time show that was always enjoyable to listen to on the way into work. Geoff did afternoons, and then shifted to middays in 1993. He and I quickly hit it off and became roommates that year. The three of us spent some rather interesting times on air (as you'll hear in the first part of this podcast) and some, well, at times close to illegal times off air. I didn't make a lot of money those days (not much has changed, I suppose), but I did have a whole lot of fun with these guys. So one night I did a conference call with the guys that resulted in the longest podcast in this pre-list series. This podcast features the most laughter out of any of them. It was truly a thrill to hang out with these guys again, even over the phone.

To download through iTunes click here. To download the MP3, click here and then click on the MP3 button.

No comments: