Thursday, June 17, 2010

Song of the Week 6/11/10

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - "I Should Have Known It"

The first time I heard the first single from Petty and company's new album Mojo, I was not happy. I even wrote on my Twitter, "Uh-oh--TP w/o hooks? Not good." Where was the classic Petty chorus that I would want to sing at the top of my lungs while driving my car with the windows down? I just didn't hear anything that would stick with me.

Then I finally watched their performance on the season finale of Saturday Night Live.



Holy shit, I was wrong. EVERYTHING about the song is a hook. Mike Campbell and Scott Thurston's intertwined guitar lines, Steve Ferrone's Bonhamesque thump, Petty's venomous vocal. Fuck me, it's all fantastic. I even recorded the SNL performance to put it my iTunes, just so I could relive that adrenaline rush again and again. I can't wait to see the Heartbreakers rip into it at the Garden next month.

No comments: