Monday, April 28, 2008

Song of the Week 4/25/08

Big Dipper - "Ron Klaus Wrecked His House"



Another year, another great reunion from Boston. This time it's Big Dipper, who I stupidly missed when they played at The Haunt in Ithaca 18 years ago. The always great Merge Records somehow concvinced the quartet to do an anothlogy of their indie work and to do three reunion shows to promote it. These guys looked a whole lot older, but played just as well (and as loud, my left ear thinks) as they did back in the day. The next to last song in Friday's set at Brooklyn's Southpaw was their "hit," "Ron Klaus Wrecked His House." The chorus to this song is a fucking monster. It would get stuck in my head in college, and it's still stuck in my head a few days after the show. One can only hope we don't have to wait another 18 years for a Big Dipper show.

BONUS: NYC taper was also there and documented the entire show, and you can hear the joy these guys felt in every note.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure this band opened for the Replacements when I saw them on the All Shook Down tour in Albany. Didn't actually see them and I never heard of them before or since. I don't knwo why I woudl even remember that. I guess I just wanted to comment.

Mike Schmidt