Saturday, August 11, 2007

Song of the Week 8/10/07

The Hold Steady - "Your Little Hoodrat Friend"

(Photo credit)

"I hope the Hold Steady plays rock and roll like Kent Hrbek played baseball." --The Hold Steady frontman Craig Finn, while wearing an authentic Hrbek jersey, at Brooklyn's Prospect Park last night

I could go on and on about how great this show was, but Finn's Twins analogy is about as apt as a description as I can think of for the band and how much joy they have on stage. (Those in the audience who weren't baseball fans might not get what Finn was saying, but I understood it perfectly.)

Picking one song out of the set to be SOTW wasn't that hard -- I had played "Your Little Hoodrat Friend" the previous Thursday at the Klimpter album release party, and after it was done guitarist Michael Boyd shared a story about seeing the band play that song at Bowery Ballroom before Separation Sunday was released. After that story, I ended up putting the song in a mix I'll be using in a couple of weeks. And the band's performance of it included a very touching story from Craig Finn about Minneapolis.

Someday I gotta go back there.

1 comment:

patient boy said...

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that show was just after Separation Sunday was released. And I think he may have been wearing the Hrbek jersey on that night too, as it happens...