Sunday, October 09, 2005

Song of the Week 10/7/05

The Gravel Pit - "Unit Three"

(The Pit circa 2001)

I've written extensively in the past (2004, 2001, Trouser Press) about my late bloooming love for The Gravel Pit. So imagine how excited I was to see them play their first New York show in over four years on Thursday night. They were hand-picked by Nada Surf to open up one of their two sold out shows at the Bowery Ballroom, and Nada drummer Ira Elliot came out to introduce them. Even with only three gigs under their belts over the past three years, the Pit did not disappoint. I listened to Mass Avenue Freeze Out a few times during the week to get myself ready for this gig, so I was quite happy when singer Jed Parish told the crowd, "Here's another one from the overlooked Mass Avenue Freeze Out album," and they broke into "Unit Three." This song has become one of my favorites over these years of repeated listens, and this smoking live version did not disappoint. I for one hope that it's not the last time I get to see them play this song, and many others from their great catalog.

No comments: