Saturday, August 25, 2007

Song of the Week 8/24/07

Elvis Costello & the Attractions - "Blue Chair"



About two months ago I stumbled upon an Elvis Costello podcast titled The First 10 Years that was centered around the 800th reissue (okay, it's just the third, but it seems like more) of his catalog. Every week this brief feature (none clocked over 10 minutes) had some interesting interview clips from Mr. McManus talking about the various stops in the first decade of his career. Monday's podcast focused on Blood and Chocolate, an album best known for the epic, creepy, stalker-like love song "I Want You." Costello's frank discussion of the tension he felt with the Attractions at the time (echoed in his fine liner notes in the 2002 Rhino edition) compelled me to listen to the album on the way home from work. It was the second time I've listened to this bitter masterpiece this year (the first was, well, when I was bitter for some reason) and what struck me this time around is how loud it is. To paraphrase Spinal Tap, every instrument seems turned up to 15, battling to be heard over Costello's shouting. Blood and Chocolate has such a fascinating and unique sound that perfectly compliments Costello's blunt lyrics about divorce, breakups and comfy furniture. I think that's why its aged so well.

The next morning I rolled out of bed and when my feet hit the floor WFUV played the Blood and Chocolate track "Blue Chair." I like it when the SOTW is that simple.

No comments: