Sunday, June 17, 2007

Song of the Week 6/15/07

Queen - "Tie Your Mother Down"

A three weeks ago at Magnetic Field one of our singers broke the bottom of the mic stand. When they were done rocking through The Kinks, I climbed on stage and started joking about how I looked like Freddy Mercury holding this stand that could, well, no longer stand. I had no idea the guys had been fooling around with "Tie Your Mother Down" at their last rehearsal. Paul broke into the riff, I started yelling "oooh yeah", Paul and Troy kicked it in and I spent a verse making up lyrics about our broken mic stand until we hit the chorus.

It was exhilarating. Holy crap, it felt so good doing that song.

So the guys learned it and we opened with it Thursday night.

Oh my, I screamed so loud I didn't need the mic.

Seriously.

I mean, we didn't rock it like this:



But still, I felt like I was on stage at Wembley.

Wow.

UPDATE 6/20: In the comments below Mr. Boyd mentioned Queen (well, 1/2 of) and Foo Fighters (well, 1/2 of) performing it at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremonies in 2001. I was at the ceremonies for work, and I do remember this performance really rocking. Dave Grohl's and Taylor Hawkins' enthusiasm for the song and Brian May and Roger Taylor just shines throughout. And May does some blistering guitar work too:



My favorite part comes at 2:47--they've just hit the end of the last chorus, and Grohl throws his head back and just listens to those distinctive May and Taylor backing vocals. Talk about "kid in a candy store" face.

2 comments:

patient boy said...

I do love that song. Did you ever see the version done at the Hall of Fame induction for Queen where Dave Grohl fronted Brian May, Roger Taylor and Taylor Hawkins? Had some nice grit on it.

Figgsrock2 said...

Actually, I was at that Hall of Fame induction. It's in my Top 5 of performances of the 10 induction ceremonies I have covered.