Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Co-Songs of the Week 6/22/07



I waited until after I saw Wilco at Hammerstein Ballroom Monday night to choose the Song of the Week. Of course, I listened to sooooo much Wilco the past five days that I couldn't just pick one. Damn you for being so good Wilco!

"Side With the Seeds" from Sky Blue Sky rocked at the Hammerstein. Nels Cline's guitar playing was smoking (check out the show here) and Jeff Tweedy really belted the lyrics out of the park--even if I have no idea what they mean.

Alas, they didn't play Sky Blue Sky's leadoff track, "Either Way." (Those lucky enough to go to Warsaw Tuesday night go that song and "Outtasite (Outta Mind)"--lucky bastards!) On Thursday I got some kind of upsetting news that was only cured by three hours of very late night drinking and great conversation with a friend of mine that this year has helped me rediscovered the Jamesons gene in my Irish DNA. Friday morning I woke up with a pretty clear idea that things were going to be alright. And when I heard these lyrics as I walked by P.S. 179 on my block, I knew Tweedy was telling me I was right:
"Maybe the sun will shine today
The clouds will blow away
Maybe I won't feel so afraid
I will try to understand either way"
Crap, now I have to wait until ACL to see them again.

No comments: