Saturday, March 31, 2007

Song of the Week 3/30/07

Robyn Hitchcock & the Venus 3 - "NY Doll"

Last fall I wrote the following line about this track from Ole Tarantula:

"'N.Y. Doll' is sung from the point of view of the late New York Dolls bassist Arthur Kane. I honestly don’t know much about Kane and his life, but I can’t imagine any man getting a finer tribute in song. It’s the perfect closer to great album."

Over the past few months I've listened to this track over and over again and I'm convinced it's one of the finest songs Hitchock has ever written. The day before seeing Hitchcock and the Venus 3 at the Knitting Factory, I discovered a clip on You Tube from the new documentary Sex, Food, Death...and Insects:



I couldn't help but think of what Peter Buck said in that clip when they played it Tuesday night. It was beautiful performance in another geat show put on by this group of musicans. One can only hope they'll continue to work together in between the times the R.E.M. machine has to roll around the world.

And just because I can, here's Hitchcock and company playing "N.Y. Doll" just a couple days ago:

No comments: