Saturday, February 10, 2007

Song of the Week 2/9/07

John Mellencamp - "Hurt So Good"

This week I interviewed John Mellencamp for the first time. And surprisingly he was a cordial and funny man to talk to. So I knew that we'd have to open Live Band Karaoke with "Hurt So Good," the only Mellencamp (pardon me, John Cougar) song in our repertoire. It was a bit rough at a couple of points (which was par for the course the entire night) but it sounded much better the second time around when this girl Katie sang it late in the set. She changed the lyrics to a female perspective and did a damn good job of it.

Later on Thursday night I lived out part of these lyrics:

"Don't have to be so exciting.
Just tryin' to give myself a little bit of fun, yeah.

You always look so invitin'
You ain't as green as you are young

Hey baby, its you.
Come on, girl, now, its you.

Sink your teeth right through my bones, baby.
Let's see what we can do."

And who doesn't love a little bit of unexpected fun? I know that I do, and did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, Paul doesn't even *like* Cougar. The only reason that song is even on the setlist is because I made them learn it so I could use it as a Derby opener last year...