Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Song of the Week 5/26/06

Frank Zappa - "I'm the Slime (Live)"

My neverending project to listen to every song on my IPod is down to the last 300 or so tunes. This past week I have been ripping through the last of the "F" section, which is all Frank Zappa. When I came upon Zappa in New York, I wondered to myself why I had put this live album on here. Then "I'm the Slime" blasted into my ears on the train ride home, and I knew why. This version features Zappa doing the song normally, and then just before the bridge he yells, "Take it away Don Pardo!" Then Saturday Night Live announcer Pardo recites some of the song's best lines, in his over-the-top manner that can best be described as side splitting:

"You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't go for help...no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold."

Then throughout the rest of the song when Zappa sings "I am the slime," Pardo yells, "No I'M THE SLIME! I'M THE SLIME!" It's priceless. Perhaps the funniest moment in my IPod.

No comments: