Friday, January 27, 2012

Song of the Week 1/27/12

Nada Surf - "When I Was Young"

I first heard this song back in late October when I was one of the fortunate people (thanks Ken!) to get an early advance of The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy. I was riding on the F train back to Brooklyn and -- I shit you not -- I felt woozy when I got up off of the seat right after this song finished. It just bowled me over. Months later, I'm still processing the gut reaction I had to this tale about looking back on one's life. I'm sure I'll dedicate an entire page of the RT 20 analyzing this epic track and how much Doug Gillard's :50 second solo slays me and touches me at a molecular level. (Gillard is the secret weapon of this entire album. My goodness, what an amazing, tasteful guitarist.)

For now I just want you, dear reader, to listen to it. First, here's the moving (literally and figuratively) video:



Second, here's the band's release show on Tuesday. After they played "When I Was Young," I yelled "Fuck yeah!" And yes, you can hear that on the webcast. (The songs starts at 31:10. You can hear my yell at 36:32)



Third, go buy this album. It's fantastic.

No comments: