Friday, January 07, 2011

Song of the Week 1/7/11

Bruno Mars - "Grenade"



It's rare that the number-one song in the country is also a SOTW. (So rare that it's never happened before.) I spent the past few days listening through some 2010 albums I bought post-Christmas and Doo-Wops & Hooligans was amongst that collection. "Grenade" first caught my ear when Mars was on Saturday Night Live back in October (especially when he sang a few lines of "Nothing on You" as the song's intro). After I listened to Doo-Wops & Hooligans for the first time, I ended up hearing "Grenade" in a store. And then on Church Ave coming out of a car. Finally I saw the video that night on MTV Hits. It's weird how once the floodgates are opened a song will show up everywhere.

"Grenade" is one of the few current songs that I can completely grasp why it's a number-one hit. Mars sings his lungs out and the production is great. And plenty of people (including yours truly) have been in love with a person yet known that the object of their affection doesn't feel as deeply. It's got an appeal to a wide demographic.

Also, who the hell would pull a piano around all day?

No comments: