Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Song of the Week 7/9/10

Christina Aguilera - "Hurt"



I went to the funeral for my cousin's 17 year old son on Saturday. I can say that -- without a doubt -- it was the most emotionally heart-wrenching thing I've experienced this year. Watching one kid after another well up in tears describing how great their friend was and how much they would miss him is something I would not wish upon my worst enemy. Their pain really put into perspective that what I thought were bad things that have happened to me this summer are pretty fucking minor in comparison, and that I really should fucking cowboy up and move on and be happy with the great things that have touched my life in 2010. And I definitely am.

The service included the playing of this ballad, and it took on a whole new meaning as the 17 year old kid's girlfriend sobbed uncontrollably through it. I'll never think of it as a lightweight pop ever again.

No comments: