Sunday, May 16, 2010

Song of the Week 5/14/10

The Figgs - "A One Man Fiasco"

One of my favorite shows of 2010 when it's all said and done will be The Figgs show at Fontana's in Chinatown on May 14th. It was an early 45 minute set, so they decided to just play their new album The Man Who Fights Himself in order. I had seen all of the songs live in the past four years since their last album Follow Jean Through the Sea, but it was fun hearing them all bunched together like that.

Before the show singer-guitarist Mike Gent told me that his uncle had died and he'd have to travel up to Troy in the morning for the funeral. During the show, just before "A One Man Fiasco," Gent told the crowd about his uncle and asked everyone to raise their glasses in honor of him. And every single person did. It was a very moving sight. And then when Gent got to the third verse, I got a huge lump in my throat.

"Maybe some sleep, will bring a little peace.
The saddest thing I've ever seen.
Family will come, and eventually
All will have to leave."

It was the most emotional moment I've had at a Figgs show in probably a decade. "A One Man Fiasco" is the centerpiece of a very strong album, and is a song I have a feeling I'll keep going back to for years and years.

BONUS: Here are the Figgs playing it two nights later in Philadelphia.

No comments: