Monday, January 14, 2008

Song of the Week 1/11/08

Kate Nash - "Pumpkin Soup"



Kate Nash's Made of Bricks is the best album released in 2008. Of course, that's not saying much since we're only two weeks into the new year. However, I still predict that this infectious collection of songs about break-ups and relationships going all sorts of wrong will end up on many best of lists 11 months from now. Nash returned to the U.S. last week to play a few shows to promote the release of Made of Bricks, which is already a smash hit in the U.K. I'm not sure if the American audiences will fully embrace the songs from this talented 19 year-old since she sounds exceedingly British when she sings and incorporates lots of British slang in her lyrics. I figure since I liked this album immediately when I heard it last fall that its got no chance here, but I could be wrong.

"Pumpkin Soup" isn't the lead single here in the States (it was the third single in the U.K.) but I can't get the chorus "I just want your kiss boy" out of my head. And the video's kind of fun too:



The first single "Foundations" is a winner too, as is its video:

No comments: