Monday, October 22, 2007

Song of the Week 10/19/07

Josh Rouse - "Domesticated Lovers"


On Tuesday I caught Josh Rouse appearing with High Fidelity author Nick Hornby as part of the Upstairs at the Square series at the mondo-sized Barnes and Noble on the North side of Union Square. It was an entertaining evening (except for the host Katherine Lampert, who made me grit my teeth down to the bone with her condescending interview style) highlighted by Rouse performing "Domesticated Lovers" with his girlfriend Paz Suay. Rouse explained how the song sprung from watching two people eat dinner and not say a word to one another.

Fast forward to Friday afternoon. I'm in suburban hell just South of Albany at a Friendly's. My aunt picks out a couple, one of whom she used to work with at her hospital. And she says, "They've been eating without saying a word for the entire time."

I turn, and I see exactly whom Rouse was writing about.

No comments: