Friday, July 03, 2009

Song of the Week 7/3/09

Death Cab for Cutie - "Little Bribes"



My friends, today I bring you an example of the Internet doing some good for once. Ross Ching is an out of work director and cinematographer in L.A. Inspired by an old Death Cab for Cutie clip, he decided to make a video to go along with "Little Bribes" from The Open Door EP. Ching writes that ,"The goal was to create a fresh, new direction to take my work to." And he certainly does that, combining stop action, time lapse photography and some handy video effects to create perhaps the best fan made video ever. Stereogum discovers it, tips off someone in the Death Cab camp, and the band posts it on their site in late May. Six weeks later, as "Little Bribes" starts getting airplay at Triple A stations, the band convinces their label to make the clip the official "Little Bribes" video. And then Ching picks up a job making another video for Atlantic.

Seeing someone rewarded for the hard work is so baffling to me. It's not like that happens at my job.

As for "Little Bribes" the song, I have always been a big fan and wondered why Death Cab didn't include this on Narrow Stairs. If it had made the cut, it probably would have been my favorite song. As it is, it's one of my favorite singles of the year.

No comments: