Saturday, January 19, 2008

Song of the Week 1/18/08

Joe Jackson - "Too Tough"

This week I couldn't escape this first single from Rain, Jackson's first album in four years. WFUV, WXPN, the World Cafe--they all seemed to know exactly when I would be listening and would play this track. Not that I'm complaining--it's a great song, reminiscent of Jackson's more mellow work on albums such as Night and Day and Body and Soul. And just like those discs he's gone guitarless once again, playing in a piano trio with his original rhythm section of bassist Graham Maby and drummer Dave Houghton. "Too Tough" features some gorgeous piano playing, especially when Jackson hits the chorus. And oh my gosh, it's a somewhat bitter chorus. Who would have thought I would enjoy a line like this?

"And if I try hard enough/to do or die/when we push and shove/I know that I will be too tough/ Too tough to fall in love/With you"

After transcribing that line I realized that "Too Tough" might be my favorite Joe Jackson song in at least 17 years...and that song ("Stranger Than Fiction") was released when I graduated college. Sigh.

No comments: