Monday, November 05, 2007

Song of the Week 11/2/07

Quicksilver Messenger Service - "Fresh Air"


Ah, the power of rediscovering an old tune. I woke up a little after 4 on Thursday morning when this song came on the World Cafe on WFUV. I got up and wrote down (Ed: hey, that could be a song lyric) "Fresh Air" on a piece of paper just so I would remember hearing the song when I got up for work that day. I'm confident in stating that I hadn't heard "Fresh Air" on the air since 1990, perhaps even 1989. And since downloading it (which I had to do as soon as I got into work) I've played it twice a day since then.

There's nothing revolutionary about the song (except that it seems incredibly dated-sounding 37 years later). It's just one of those tracks that have fallen through the cracks in the age of tightened and over-researched playlists. It does have a have a hard-to-resist chorus:

"Ooooooooooh, have another hit--of fresh air!"

Riiiiiight
, that's exactly what a San Francisco band would be talking about.

No comments: