Friday, November 24, 2006

Song of the Week 11/24/06

Big Star - "Thirteen"

One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums of all time, I discovered this week that "Thirteen" can be quite, well, how do I put it...intoxicating on many levels. Yeah, that's all I'll say about that.

I did a quick search today, and discovered there are at least 10 covers of this song, including this cover by Jon and Ken from the Posies, who are in the current edition of Big Star:



But nothing tops the original, which has such simple and effective lyrics:

"Won't you let me walk you home from school
Won't you let me meet you at the pool
Maybe Friday I can
Get tickets for the dance
And I'll take you, ooo ooo ooo

Won't you tell your dad, 'Get off my back'
Tell him what we said 'bout 'Paint It Black'
Rock 'n Roll is here to stay
Come inside where it's okay
And I'll shake you, ooo ooo ooo.

Won't you tell me what you're thinking of
Would you be an outlaw for my love
If it's so, well, let me know
If it's 'no,' well, I can go
I won't make you ooo ooo ooo."

Perfect. Just perfect. It made my favorite holiday of the year even better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

<3 <3 <3

Erich Scholz said...

I learned how to play this on the guitar last year. Super easy but the little solo was a bitch to figure out. Still, makes a perfect showcase and girls think I know what I'm doin' when I start crooning...although they all think it's a Jeff Tweedy song (!)