Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Song of the Week 9/30/06

The Long Winters - “It’s a Departure”

The past couple of weeks have been all about Seattle’s The Long Winters. In between prepping for the Trouser Press entry I was polishing off or getting myself psyched to see them on Friday night, I listened to a lot of the band’s music in September. Frontman John Roderick writes such interesting lyrics and delivers them in such a unique and passionate voice that I’m amazed it took me this long to discover them (or that someone, anyone I knew would have turned me onto them). I missed their show in Austin, but didn’t stress about it since I knew I would go see them at Bowery Ballroom. Before the show I met up with my friend Michelle (a HUGE fan of the band—she has their album covers on one of her walls for goodness sake) and her brother Steve at a Lower East Side bar. As we talked about various topics, Michele told me she thought the new Long Winters album Putting the Days to Bed was “incredible” (I'm paraphrasing, I do believe). I mentioned “(It’s a) Departure” as a favorite because of the great line, “I like the old days/But not all the old days/Only the Good Old Days!” Roderick’s delivery of that line slays me ever time. When the band hit the stage, Roderick made some cracks about how big their rock show would be, and then chuckled and said that “the song is a departure.” I belted out a very loud “YEAH!” and started singing along. I’m not sure that Michelle and her crew heard me scream all the way up front, but I bet they were rocking out just as much as I was.

No comments: