Friday, February 04, 2005

Song of the Week 2/4/05

Van Halen - "Intruder"/"Oh Pretty Woman"

I love how a song can tie a whole week together. Monday night while cooking dinner I had the greatest channel ever on -- VH1 Classic. During their All Request Hour they played the entire "Pretty Woman" video, which includes the lengthy instrumental intro "Intruder." Then Friday I was listening to Q104.3, the classic rock station here in New York. They do a contest every weekday called "The 3 at 3," in which listeners have to guess what links the three songs together. The last song in "The 3 at 3?" "Intruder"/"Oh Pretty Woman," of course.

This medley appears on my favorite Van Halen album, Diver Down. I was having a discussion with a co-worker Wednesday night about how this album shouldn't even exist, considering the bizarre track listing (5 covers?!?). I do believe that my thoughts on this album will require an entirely separate entry. Look for it within the next week or so.

No comments: