Saturday, January 14, 2006

Song of the Week 1/13/06

The Who - "The Kids Are Alright"

As part of my continuing effort to listen to every nook and cranny of my IPod, I spent a good deal of time in the "W" section this week. While listening to The Who's Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy while walking through downtown Brooklyn, I decided I wanted to sing a Who song at Live Band Karaoke that night--specifically "The Kids Are Alright." So when I looked at the lyrics, I realized that I had no idea what this song was about. Is Pete Townshend writing about getting away from his family? Should his significant other get away? And when he writes kids, does he mean small children? And why hasn't Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy been reissued on disc? I know The Who have been subject to 1034 best of compilations, but this is the first, and by far the best.

No comments: